Giving Your Cat Medication
Taking care of a pet can be a big responsibility, especially when it comes to giving them medication. Here are some helpful tips for giving your cat medication without any stress:
What You’ll Need
- Medication prescribed by your veterinarian
- Disposable gloves
- A pill pocket, butter or cream cheese (optional)
- A syringe or dropper
- Soft treats
- Wear disposable gloves and remove the medication from its container
- If giving your cat a pill, you can try hiding it in a pill pocket, butter, or cream cheese to make it easier to consume
- If the medication requires a liquid form, use a syringe or dropper
- Put your cat in a comfortable spot and Gently open their mouth using your thumb and forefinger
- Drop the pill at the back of their throat and for liquid form, carefully apply drops at the side of their mouth to avoid choking
- After administering the medication, offer your cat a reward of soft treats to encourage them
- Throw away the gloves after each use
Things To Keep In Mind
- It’s important your pet remains calm during the process. If you are having difficulties, contact your vet for some advice.
- Always follow the dosage instructions provided by your vet.
- Never give a cat medication intended for humans or other animals
- Finally, if your cat’s condition does not improve or worsens, consult your vet for further examination.
Taking care of a pet can require some patience and persistence. With some practice and preparation, you can help your furry friend get the care they need.