How To Stop Your Cat Waking You Up In The Middle Of The Night
Do you have a cat that has been waking you up in the middle of the night? It can be very frustrating, but luckily there are some ways to get your cat to stop! Follow these simple tips and you’ll be able to rest easy again.
Understand Why Your Cat Is Waking You Up
The first step in tackling this issue is understanding why your cat is waking you up in the first place. The most common reasons are:
- Hunger – Your cat may wakes you up because it wants food.
- Attention – Your cat may be looking for attention and coming to your bedroom is an easy way to get it.
- Anxiety – If your cat is anxious or scared it may wake you up in an effort to seek safety and security.
- Motion – If your cat is easily excited by motion, it may be woken up by the sound of you tossing and turning or getting ready for bed.
- Separation Anxiety – It’s possible that your cat is feeling separation anxiety and may want to be close to you.
Once you know the reason why your cat is waking you up, it will be easier to come up with a solution.
Create a Sleep Routine For Your Cat
The next step is to create a sleep routine for your cat. This will help make sure your cat knows when it’s time for bed and when it’s time to wake up. Here are some simple ways to create a sleep routine:
- Consistently feed and provide water at the same times every day.
- Play with your cat before bed, to get rid of any excess energy.
- Provide a comfortable sleeping space, such as a bed or scratching post.
- Give your cat treats or toys that it can enjoy while sleeping, such as a stuffed animal tucked in a blanket.
- Set up a regular schedule for play and affection so that your cat gets used to expecting attention during the day.
- Make sure to provide a safe, secure and comfortable environment for your cat.
Give Your Cat Attention When Awake
Once you have established a routine for your cat it’s important to give it attention when it’s awake. Falling asleep in your bed or getting up for a late-night treat aren’t the only ways for your cat to get your attention. Here are some tips for giving your cat attention and preventing it from waking you up:
- Give your cat lots of pets, cuddles and playtime during the day so that it doesn’t need your attention in the middle of the night.
- Ignore your cat when it is meowing and pacing – this reinforces the behavior and will encourage your cat to keep coming back for attention.
- If your cat is meowing for food, offer it a small treat and try to keep it away from your bedroom, as the smell of food may attract it back.
- If your cat is anxious, try providing it with a calming treat such as catnip or a small toy that it can play with.
It can be difficult to get your cat to stop waking you up in the middle of the night, but with a little patience and understanding you can train your cat to sleep through the night. Be consistent with your attention and training and your cat will soon learn the proper sleeping behaviors.