How to Stop Your Cat From Scratching Your Towels
Are you tired of your cat ruining your towels? With some simple steps and a bit of patience, you can prevent your cat from scratching your towels.
1. Train Your Cat
The best way to stop your cat from scratching your towels is to train them not to. Start by providing them with posts and scratching pads specifically designed to satisfy your cat’s natural urge to scratch.
Train them to use the scratching post or pad by placing catnip or spray on it and rewarding them when they scratch it.
2. Provide Alternatives
Keep tempting objects away from your cat’s reach. Towels are usually hanging in easy access, so make sure to put them out of reach or cover them with a piece of fabric or plastic.
Also, provide your cat with alternatives to towels such as soft blankets, sweaters and other fabric items.
3. Remove Odors
Cats often associate certain scents with objects, so make sure to remove any odors from your towels. Wash them often and use cat-safe detergent.
You can also try using a scent neutralizer to remove odors.
4. Punish Appropriately
If your cat is caught in the act, you should use a firm and loud “No!” and provide an instantaneous correction like a water spray to redirect your cat’s attention.
Be sure to follow up by providing a distraction, like a toy, so they don’t return to scratching.
5. Seek Professional Help
If you have tried all the above methods and your cat is still scratching your towels, it might be a good idea to consult a professional for advice.
5 Tips for Stopping Your Cat From Scratching Your Towels
- Train Your Cat: Provide your cat with scratching posts and pads and train them to use them.
- Provide Alternatvies: Keep towels out of reach or cover them and provide your cat with other objects such as blankets.
- Rmove Odors: Wash your towels often and use a cat-safe detergent and scent neutralizer to remove odors.
- Punish Appropriately: Issue a firm and loud “No!” every time your cat is caught in the act and follow up with a distraction.
- Seek Professional Help: If all else fails, seek advice from a professional.