How to Stop Your Cat from Scratching Your Sandals
If you’ve been dealing with scratches on your favorite sandals thanks to your cat, you know that it can be an annoying problem. Luckily, there are some simple strategies you can employ to discourage your cat from swatting your sandals and ruining them. Here are a few tips for stopping your cat from scratching your sandals:
There are several ways to take the attention away from your sandals and onto a more suitable substitute:
- Invest in Cat Trees and Scratching Posts: By providing your cat with a special area to scratch, such as a scratching post or cat tree, you can discourage them from swatting your sandals.
- Sprinkle Catnip: Sprinkling some catnip on the post or tree can attract your cat’s attention and make them more interested in scratching at the post, rather than your sandals.
- Buy a Sisal Mat: Another great way to draw your cat’s attention away from the sandals and onto a more appropriate option is to buy a sisal mat that your cat can scratch. Not only is this mat a more suitable outlet for your cat’s clawing needs, it will also save your sandals from getting scratched.
Train Your Cat
You can also train your cat to stay away from your sandals with a few simple techniques:
- Praise and Rewards: Whenever you catch your cat pawing away from your sandals and onto the scratching posts, praise them and give them a treat for good behaviour.
- Apply Double-Sided Tape: Applying double-sided tape to your sandals can be a smart move, as cats typically don’t like the feel of sticky surfaces, so they’ll stay away if they feel it.
- Make a Noise: Whenever you catch your cat scratching at the sandals, make a loud noise to startle them, such as clapping your hands. This will get their attention and discourage them from misbehaving.
With some patience and dedication, you can teach your cat to avoid scratching your sandals and save them from further damage. By providing them with alternatives and using rewards and reprimands for good and bad behaviour, you’ll be able to keep your cat’s claws away from your sandals for good!