Keep Your Pumps Safe From Your Cat’s Scratching
Does your pussycat like to scratch your favorite shoes? Cats love to scratch, but if you don’t want your pumps to be destroyed, then you’ll have to prevent your cat from getting at them.
Train Your Cat Not to Scratch
The best way to prevent your cat from scratching your pumps is to train them not to do it in the first place. Here’s how to get started:
- Provide an Appropriate Scratching Post or Pad – Get your cat a scratching post or pad that they can use instead of your shoes. Preferably, they should be tall and sturdy, so that they can stretch out while they scratch. Make sure the texture is enticing and try to place it near where your cat is most likely to scratch.
- Reward Good Behaviour – Whenever your cat uses their designated scratching post, reward them with a special treat or a toy. This helps reinforce the behaviour you want them to do and will eventually encourage them to stay away from your shoes.
- Use Negative Reinforcement – If you see your cat scratching your shoes, use a noise or gesture to make them stop. You may also use a squirt bottle or air spray to distract them from doing it. Don’t use physical punishment as this may scare your feline and break the bond between you.
Prevent Access to Your Pumps
If none of the above methods work, then you can simply prevent your cat from accessing your shoes. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Close the Door to the Room your Pumps are in – If possible, keep the door to the room that your pumps are in closed. This way, your cat won’t be able to get to them and will be discouraged from trying.
- Put your Shoes Away – When you’re not wearing your pumps, make sure to store them away. Put them in a shoe rack, in a closet, or even in a room where your cat can’t get to them.
- Cover your Shoes in a Blanket – An alternative option is to cover your shoes in a blanket or a fabric cover. This will discourage your cat from scratching them as they won’t be able to feel the texture.
By keeping your pumps safe from your cat’s scratching, you’ll be able to enjoy them for years to come. Just remember to take the necessary steps to train your cat or keep them away from your shoes!