How to Stop Your Cat from Scratching Your Hands
It can be upsetting and even painful when your cat starts scratching your hands. Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to help get your cat to stop this behavior.
1. Discourage the Behavior
When you catch your cat trying to scratch your hands, make a loud noise or a squirt of water to startle your cat and let them know it’s not okay.
2. Make Your Hands Unappealing
If your cat is drawn to scratching your hands because they are warm or because of the scent, there are a few things you can try:
- Lemon juice or a citrus-scented air freshener can make your hands less desireable to your cat.
- You can also try putting a repellent like bitter apple lotion on your hands. This will make them less attractive to your cat.
- Always wash your hands after petting your cat to remove any scent your cat may be attracted to.
3. Provide a Scratching Area
By providing your cat with an appropriate scratching area, you can encourage them to use it instead of your hands. Make sure the area is comfortable with plenty of scratching posts. Also, be sure to reward your cat when they use the area correctly.
4. Give Your Cat Lots of Affection and Attention
Cats often scratch to get attention. If your cat is feeling neglected, they might start to scratch. To prevent this, make sure you are giving your cat plenty of affection, attention and playtime.
You can also use treats as a reward for desirable behavior.
With some patience and effort, it is possible to stop your cat from scratching your hands. Use these tips and you’ll be on your way to having a well-behaved, scratch-free cat.