How Do I Get My Cat to Stop Scratching My Dress Shoes?
Cats love to scratch and sharpen their claws, but when they start to scratch your dress shoes they can be a real problem. Here are some tips to help keep your feet looking good and your beloved feline away from your shoes:
Create Unappealing Obstacles
- Place aluminum foil, sandpaper, double-sided tape, or placemats (with points facing up) on the areas your cat likes to scratch.
- Place scratching posts, boards, and mats near dress shoes to encourage your cat to use them instead.
- Put citrus-scented oils on the shoes to make them less tantalizing to your cat.
Redirect Your Cat’s Scratching Habits
- Play with your cat every day and reward her for using scratching posts or boards with treats or verbal praise.
- Keep your cat’s nails trimmed.
- Provide appropriate, durable scratching posts andboards for your cat to use.
Remove the Lure of Dress Shoes
- Keep your dress shoes hidden away in a closet or cupboard if possible.
- Whenever possible, remove the shoes after wearing them and put them away.
- Clean your dress shoes regularly to remove any lingering smells or dirt that might attract your cat.
Getting your cat to stop scratching your dress shoes can be difficult, but with patience and commitment you can help your cat stay away. Start by setting up obstacles that make the shoes unappealing, redirecting your cat’s scratching habits, and removing the temptation completely. With some effort, you can help keep your dress shoes safe from furry claws!