Tips to Stop Your Cat from Scratching Your Dress Shoes
Scratching is an instinctual behavior for cats, so preventing it can be difficult. Here are some tips to control scratching:
- Buy a scratching post or board for your cat and provide a multitude of attractive textures – sisal, natural-fiber twine, and/or carpet.
- Position the scratching post near your dress shoes and reward your cat with praise and treats when they use it.
- Provide a variety of toys to keep your cat entertained, such as scratching toys.
Discourage Scratching Behavior
- Trim your cats nails regularly, by having a check-up at the vet or groomer.
- Spray areas where your cat likes to scratch with a diluted citrus solution to deter them.
- Use double-sided tape or foil around dress shoes and other items you don’t want them to scratch.
- If the issue persists, consult your vet about products like nail caps.
Make Your Cat Comfortable
- Make sure your cat has enough scratching options, by providing cat furniture such as perches and cat trees.
- Provide your cat with lots of mental and physical stimulation to release energy, such as playing with interactive toys.
- Make sure your cat is not stressed out by providing a safe environment, with plenty of hiding places.
By following these tips, you should be able to effectively stop your cat from scratching your dress shoes. Remember that this is a process that takes time and patience. If the problem persists, consult your vet.