How to Stop Your Cat From Scratching Your Clothes Ironing Board
Does your cat keep scratching your clothes ironing board? Here are some things you can do to make sure your cat no longer has to scratch the ironing board:
Provide Cat-Friendly Alternatives
Providing your cat with alternatives to the ironing board can help satisfy their scratching urges. Here are some cat-friendly alternatives:
- Cat scratching posts: Provide your cat with a sturdy scratching post for them to claw. Make sure it has a solid base so it won’t tip over and provides a variety of textures (carpet, rope, cardboard, sisal, etc.).
- Cat trees: A cat tree provides a place for your cat to climb, scratch and play. Most cat trees have scratching posts, perches and toys to give your cat plenty of entertainment options.
- Carpeted towers: Carpeted cat towers give your cat a safe place to climb, scratch and explore without damaging your furniture.
Train Your Cat with Positive Reinforcement
Training your cat with positive reinforcement can help teach them to stay away from the ironing board. Here are some tips for reinforcing good behavior:
- Give treats: Reward your cat with treats when they use their scratching posts, cat trees or other cat-friendly objects.
- Verbal praise: Praise your cat when they do something positive. Even a simple “good kitty” can make a difference in their behavior.
- Playtime: Set aside some time for interactive play every day. Use toys to encourage your cat to play and stay away from the ironing board.
Deter Your Cat With Discomfort
If your cat won’t stay away from the ironing board, you can try deterring them with discomfort. Here are a few tips for deterring your cat:
- Double-sided tape: Place some double-sided tape on the ironing board. Cats dislike the sticky sensation and will avoid it.
- Aromatic sprays: Citrus or peppermint scents can be uncomfortable for cats. Spray your ironing board with a citrus or peppermint-scented spray and your cat will stay away.
- Aluminum foil: Cats dislike the crinkling sound of aluminum foil. Cover your ironing board with some aluminum foil to deter your cat.
Taking these steps can help keep your cat away from the ironing board and make sure that your clothes are safe.