How do I get my Cat to Stop Scratching my Clothes Hamper?
Teaching your cat not to scratch your clothes hamper can be a challenge. Cats naturally have the desire to scratch, and providing them with their own scratching post is the best way to keep them from destroying your belongings.
Steps for Teaching your Cat Not to Scratch the Hamper
- Make the hamper less appealing: Place a sticky double sided tape or some other type of deterrent (like a sheet) to keep the cat from getting onto the hamper.
- Provide good scratching options: Provide your cat with its own scratching post and/or cat tree, which is a great way for cats to satisfy their need to scratch.
- Keep your cat from sharpening its claws: Apply plastic covers to your cat’s claws so they can’t sharpen them on your furniture.
- Redirect your cat’s attention: When you catch your cat scratching the hamper, immediately redirect its attention by giving it a toy or offering a treat.
- Reinforce positive behaviors: Give your cat praise and rewards when it scratches the scratching post rather than the hamper.
If all else fails, consult your veterinarian or a behavior specialist to customize an action plan that works best for your cat. Learning how to redirect your cat’s behavior and actively discouraging it from damaging your belongings will help you keep your hamper and clothes safe from your cat’s claws.