Get Your Cat to Stop Scratching Your Blankets
It’s natural for cats to scratch and stretch, and unfortunately, it can manifest in your bedsheets and blankets – making your favorite items look tattered and worn. Here are a few tips to try and get your cat to stop scratching your blankets:
Cats can become soothed and engaged by scratching surfaces that accept their claws. Here are a few alternatives to giving your cat in place of your blankets:
- Cardboard scratchers: It’s inexpensive, recyclable, and cats love it! It also provides a better scratching experience for your cat.
- Cat trees/posts: Invest in a product specifically designed for cats. Cat trees are more comfortable than scratching posts, and they usually come with multiple levels, beds and other places cats can explore.
- Plastic carpet mats: These mats may generally be used in bathrooms, but they are perfect scratching surfaces. The plastic is sturdier and more resilient than cardboard or wood and cats love it.
- Nail covers: An alternative, but inconvenient solution is to cover your cats’ nails with plastic caps or vinyl covers.
Cats scratch for a variety of reasons and making them stop becomes more difficult the longer the behavior is repeated. To discourage scratching your blankets, try some of these ideas:
- Create a distraction: Give your cat something to play with or focus on when they start feeling the urge to scratch – this will shift their attention away from your blankets and toward something else.
- Encourage exploration: Try to keep your cats busy with new objects and experiences. This will help keep their minds occupied and also tire them out so they’re less likely to still be active late at night.
- Reward good behavior: Whenever you catch your cat scratching at something appropriate (i.e. the scratching post or cardboard scratcher) give them something positive to do. Offering treats or toys when they scratch where they’re supposed to can reinforce good behavior.
With these tips and tricks, hopefully your cat will be scratching their chosen surfaces, and leaving your blankets alone in no time!