How to Stop Your Cat From Biting Your Shoes
Cats love to get into all kinds of mischief. One of the most annoying things that cats can do is claw and bite your shoes. Here are some tips for preventing your feline friend from destroying your expensive pairs of pumps.
Understanding Why Cats Bites
It’s important to understand why cats bite shoes in order to find a solution. For some cats, it’s just a fun activity. The texture and material of your shoes is inviting and to a cat, the moving “mouse” they see resembles prey they would find in the wild. Other cats may view your pumps as a sign of dominance. By biting them, your cat is asserting control over your space even in a playful way. Some cats may also be anxious and anxious cats can act out by biting.
Strategies for Prevention
- Provide appropriate scratching outlets. Cats need something to scratch, like an appropriate scratching post or scratching pad. Make sure these objects are easily accessible to your cat and offer them rewards for using them.
- Redirect attention. If you your cat is going for your shoes, distract them with a toy, a treat or a play session.
- Ensure your cat is getting enough exercise. Cats that don’t get enough exercise can be more prone to display out of control behavior. Offer your cat toys and things to do to stimulate their mind and body and allow them to get some good play time.
- Remove temptation. If your cat seems particularly attracted to your pumps, remove them from the area and store them out of reach.
- Avoid punishment. Yelling or punishing your cat for biting your shoes can make the problem worse. Instead, offer positive reinforcement when they don’t bite your shoes.
By following these simple tips, you can help keep your cat from destroying your pumps and other items in your home.